On-the-Job Stretching ProgramsDecember 5, 2012 No Comments
Workplace stretching programs are controversial, some safety professionals believe in them while others think they are a waste of time.
I developed a highly successful stretching program at one large manufacturer. After a few weeks into the program, the union employees liked stretching so much that when their supervisor was sick, they’d just go ahead and stretch on their own without him! In time, the manual material handling injuries at this company went way down and the moral improved – both due to my pre-shift stretching program.
Below are links to a number of resources that will help you evaluate the merits of stretching programs. If you do decide to implement one, I’ve also included links on sample stretching programs and exercises.
Benefits/disadvantages of stretching programs
- Stretching exercises for the workplace… yes or no ??
- Do stretching programs prevent work-related musculoskeletal disorders?
- Stretching – balance the risks & rewards
- Warming up to On-the-Job Exercise : Effectiveness of Exercise Programs in Preventing or Relieving Musculoskeletal Disorders
- The most important reason to implement a pre shift stretching program
Sample stretching programs and exercises
- Stretching for fun & profit
- USC exercise topics
- Let’s stretch
- Stretching & moving for your health
- 5-Minute solutions – stretching
- How to exercise your back
- How to stretch
- Upper body stretches
- Office stretches
- UCLA office stretches
- Standing stretches for the workplace
- Seated stretches for the workplace
- Neck stretches for the workplace
- Forearm stretches for the workplace
- Upper body stretches for the workplace
- Stretching works @ work (2 posters)
- Stretching prevents injury
- Stretching & moving
- Stretching works at work
When buying safety products (or anything else) THANK YOU for using our links to Amazon.com